[Libav-user] Displaying video in Windows

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Tue Nov 13 23:03:39 CET 2012

Le tridi 23 brumaire, an CCXXI, Tom Isaacson a écrit :
> I've looked at the source for ffplay and can see that the video is
> displayed using SDL. But as far as I can tell this doesn't actually use a
> real window in Windows, it just creates a space on the screen then watches
> for mouse events in the area.

Do you experience the same problem with other, possibly more popular,
software based on SDL? Frozen Bubble, Dosbox, ScummVM, could be possible
candidate, although I am not sure whether any of them has a native windows
interface.

The thing is, despite the bad image it has for a lot of skillful developers,
SDL is widely used for cross-platform games, and it mostly does the work. If
it did not work on windows, I am pretty sure it would be common knowledge.

It is entirely possible that ffplay is doing something wrong with the SDL
API that causes it to have incomplete windows decorations. Or it is entirely
possible that something strange on your system causes SDL to misbehave.
Testing other SDL-based programs would help to know.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George