[Libav-user] Clarifications about why "--use-nonfree" makes ffmpeg undistributable given the LGPL

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Mon Nov 26 05:41:04 CET 2012

Hi

I have a doubt about the ffmpeg license that hopefully someone can clarify.

I understand the the ffmpeg license is LGPL.

And I also understand that the LGPL license allows dynamic linking with
any library/software (proprietary or not)

""
When a program is linked with a library, whether statically or using a
shared library, the combination of the two is legally speaking a
combined work, a derivative of the original library. The ordinary
General Public License therefore permits such linking only if the entire
combination fits its criteria of freedom. The Lesser General Public
License permits more lax criteria for linking other code with the library.
""" https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

Then, why is that "--enable-nonfree" makes ffmpeg unredistributable?

I understand than meanwhile the linking of ffmpeg with the non-free
libraries is dynamic there shouldn't be any problems distributing it?

Where is the trap? What I'm missing?

Thanks!