[Libav-user] avcodec_decode_video2 strange behaviour on lost frame

serdel serdel at toya.net.pl
Wed Nov 28 13:27:46 CET 2012

Hi,

I am using ffmpeg to decode an rtps (live555) streaming. I decode each
frame separately in a standard sequence. The normal sequence is SPS and
PPS, then NAL_IDR_SLICE and finaly NAL_SLICE until next SPS&PPS. On normal
work, avcodec_decode_video2 returns positive value of bytes used and sets
the got_picture_ptr to the positive value. On SPS&PPS the return value is
-1 and got_picture_ptr is 0. This is a normal sequence and works perfectly
without any errors or lags. The problem appears when some packet is lost in
frame transmission (WiFi transmission with some noise around). Live555
rejects the rest of the packets for this frame so the entire frame is lost.
In almost all of the cases it is the  NAL_IDR_SLICE frame since it is
usually about 20 times bigger than NAL_SLICE frames. So when the next
NAL_SLICE frame arrives complete the avcodec_decode_video2 returns positive
value of used bytes, but the got_picture_ptr is 0 - not a normal behaviour.
The worse thing is that this continues to happen to every next NAL_SLICE
frame and to the next NAL_IDR_SLICE with it's following NAL_SLICE frames.
This keeps on going a couple of 'full seqences' (SPS&PPS,NAL_IDR_SLIC and
following NAL_SLICE) and finally on some of the frames jumps bakc to normal
work (avcodec_decode_video2 return is positive and got_picture_ptr is also
non-zero positive). On this occur the screen picture freezes for 2-3
seconds and continuous running with no jump_over! You don't see any jump in
the screen which would indicate some lost frames - no, the picture keeps on
from where it froze and is just delayed to the sender stream by those 2-3
seconds.

I tried detecting this situation and when it occurs I run
avcodec_flush_buffers() followed by  avcodec_decode_video2 with a dummy
empty AVPacket to somehow reset the coded state but it didn't help. Does
any one have any other suggestions?