[Libav-user] AC3 decoder in FFmpeg

Alex Smeshkov alex.smeshkov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:39:59 CEST 2012

Dear Sirs,

I kindly ask you to give me your comments on the question of AC3 decoder in
FFmpeg library use in my project. In particular, I am concerned about legal
aspect of this matter.

As I gathered from FFmpeg website AC3 decoder is licensed under LGPL in
FFmpeg library.
Could you please advise if I can use FFmpeg library containing AC3 decoder
in a commercial project without obtaining license from "Dolby" in the
following cases:

- Static linking with FFmpeg library containing AC3 decoder in my open
source project licensed under LGPL;
- Dynamic linking with FFmpeg library containing AC3 decoder in my open
source project licensed under LGPL (or any other applicable license);
- Distribution of the application that will not contain FFmpeg library
although at the same time it will be able to work with the shared library
if the end users download it on their own.

I would much appreciate your comments on this issue.
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Alex Smeshkov