[Libav-user] avformat_open_input() fails with unicode filenames of image files

Tim Hauke mail at tim-hauke.de
Sat Oct 6 13:03:27 CEST 2012

Am 06.10.2012 11:52, schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> Tim Hauke <mail at ...> writes:
>
>> But when I try to open an image file (jpg, bmp, tif)
>> whose filename contains other characters than from
>> the ASCII charset, avformat_open_input() returns -2.
> Is this also reproducible with ffmpeg.exe?
>
> Carl Eugen

Now I have tested wit ffmpeg.exe and it also fails. I proceeded
following tests.

1:
Six jpg files (all the same) named as door1.jpg, door2.jpg,..., door6.jpg
Run ffmpeg.exe with the command: ffmpeg -f image2 -i door%d.jpg door.mpg
It worked, result was a running door.mpg file.

2:
Same six jpg files as before renamed in tür1.jpg, tür2.jpg,...,tür6.jpg
Runing ffmpeg.exe with the same command: ffmpeg -f image2 -i tür%d.jpg
tür.mpg
It failed with this error message in the windows command shell:
[image2 @ 0002e6c0] Could find no file with with path 't├╝r%d.jpg' and
index in the range 0-4
t├╝r%d.jpg: No such file or directory

3:
With the resulting door.mpg from test 1 running ffmpeg.exe with the command:
ffmpeg -i door.mpg door%d.jpg
It worked with 6 jpg files door1.jpg, door2.jpg,..., door6.jpg as result.

4:
Renaming door.mpg in tür.mpg and running it with the command from test 3:
ffmpeg -i tür.mpg tür%d.jpg
It also worked with 6 jpg files tür1.jpg, tür2.jpg,..., tür6.jpg as rsult.

5:
Playing door.mpg and tür.mpg in ffplay.exe - both worked.
Playing door.jpg in ffplay.exe - worked.
Playing tür.jpg in ffplay - failed with the same error as test 2:
[image2 @ 019f4a60] Could find no file with with path 't├╝r.jpg' and
index in the range 0-4
t├╝r.jpg: No such file or directory

Can someone confirm my test results and has someone a workaround to
avoid this fails?

Best regards - Tim Hauke