[Libav-user] How to use rawvideo conatiner format with mpeg4

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Oct 27 18:49:10 CEST 2012

Mark Pupilli <mpupilli at ...> writes:

> I am sending the video over network using a custom
> protocol so was trying to avoid the overhead of a
> container format.

Do you mean size overhead or performance overhead?
The m4v container has no size overhead and I suspect
the performance overhead is (very, very slightly)
bigger with rawvideo (it has more special-cases).

> Is it not possible to transport mpeg4 in a rawvideo
> container?

The container called "rawvideo" is for rawvideo (yuv,
rgb), raw codecs have specific containers.

Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen