[Libav-user] prores variable frame rate last frame bug?

Al Crate al at dneg.com
Tue Sep 18 14:18:11 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm getting some odd behaviour when writing out prores movies (in
quicktime container).

It looks like the last frame in the movie has an invalid duration ("1"
should be "25").

This also throws out the avg_frame_rate, making it 25/1 instead of 24/1.

This also upsets quicktime and final cut pro, they both get confused and
do not show the last frame.

Is this a known issue ? Obviously this maybe intended and all the other
decoders are wrong :)

When creating under OSX (using the apple encoder), the output of ffprobe
looks like :-

<SNIP TOP OF OUTPUT>

[PACKET]
codec_type=video
stream_index=0
pts=550
pts_time=0.916667
dts=550
dts_time=0.916667
duration=25
duration_time=0.041667
size=713520.000000
pos=15603504
flags=K
[/PACKET]

[PACKET]
codec_type=video
stream_index=0
pts=575
pts_time=0.958333
dts=575
dts_time=0.958333
duration=25
duration_time=0.041667
size=711104.000000
pos=16317024
flags=K
[/PACKET]

[STREAM]
index=0
codec_name=prores
codec_long_name=ProRes
codec_type=video
codec_time_base=0/1
codec_tag_string=apch
codec_tag=0x68637061
width=1920
height=1080
has_b_frames=0
pix_fmt=yuv422p10le
level=-99
progressive
r_frame_rate=24/1
avg_frame_rate=24/1
time_base=1/600
start_time=0.000000
duration=1.000000
nb_frames=24
TAG:language=eng
TAG:codec_name=Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
[/STREAM]
[FORMAT]
filename=test.mov
nb_streams=1
format_name=mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
format_long_name=QuickTime/MPEG-4/Motion JPEG 2000 format
start_time=0.000000
duration=1.000000
size=17029910.000000
bit_rate=136239280.000000
TAG:major_brand=qt
TAG:minor_version=537199360
TAG:compatible_brands=qt
TAG:creation_time=2012-09-17 11:26:43
[/FORMAT]

Where as the one I generate looks like..

[PACKET]
codec_type=video
stream_index=0
pts=550
pts_time=0.916667
dts=550
dts_time=0.916667
duration=25
duration_time=0.041667
size=131592.000000
pos=2870218
flags=K
[/PACKET]

[PACKET]
codec_type=video
stream_index=0
pts=575
pts_time=0.958333
dts=575
dts_time=0.958333
duration=1
duration_time=0.001667
size=131401.000000
pos=3001810
flags=K
[/PACKET]

[STREAM]
index=0
codec_name=prores
codec_long_name=ProRes
codec_type=video
codec_time_base=0/1
codec_tag_string=apch
codec_tag=0x68637061
width=640
height=480
has_b_frames=0
pix_fmt=yuv422p10le
level=-99
progressive
r_frame_rate=24/1
avg_frame_rate=25/1
time_base=1/600
start_time=0.000000
duration=0.960000
nb_frames=24
TAG:language=eng
TAG:codec_name=prores
[/STREAM]

[FORMAT]
filename=test6.mov
nb_streams=1
format_name=mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
format_long_name=QuickTime/MPEG-4/Motion JPEG 2000 format
start_time=0.000000
duration=0.960000
size=3133211.000000
bit_rate=26110091.000000