[Libav-user] LGPL and FFMPeg internal aac encoder

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Sep 28 22:05:30 CEST 2012

Tim Cannell <tim at ...> writes:

> I have configured FFMpeg as described below - at the bottom
> of the output listed below, from the configure tool, it says
> "License: LGPL version 2.1 or later" which I want to believe.

Good idea!

> Can anyone confirm that this aac encoder implementation is
> indeed LGPL.

I am not sure I understand:
The code was released under the LGPL, ie the person
who implemented it decided to release it under the LGPL.
Do you need any more confirmation?

> Is it just libaacplus which is not under the LGPL ?

I suspect libaacplus is younger than FFmpeg's internal
aac encoder (but I admit I did not check).
Note that afaict, the internal aac encoder does not
support AAC+.

Carl Eugen