[Libav-user] LGPL and FFMPeg internal aac encoder

Tim Cannell tim at eworker.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 00:07:56 CEST 2012

Carl

Thanks for you reply - I guess my remaining doubt lies in the fact that
previously libfaac was incorrectly claimed to be LGPL when in fact it
incorporates code from an external source that is not available under this
licence.

See http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/149682 amonst
other references turned up by google searches

I wanted to be sure the internal ffmpeg aac encoder implementation did not
fall into the same category, but after limited research still have some
lingering doubts...

Thanks

Tim

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Tim Cannell <tim at ...> writes:
>
> > I have configured FFMpeg as described below - at the bottom
> > of the output listed below, from the configure tool, it says
> > "License: LGPL version 2.1 or later" which I want to believe.
>
> Good idea!
>
> > Can anyone confirm that this aac encoder implementation is
> > indeed LGPL.
>
> I am not sure I understand:
> The code was released under the LGPL, ie the person
> who implemented it decided to release it under the LGPL.
> Do you need any more confirmation?
>
> > Is it just libaacplus which is not under the LGPL ?
>
> I suspect libaacplus is younger than FFmpeg's internal
> aac encoder (but I admit I did not check).
> Note that afaict, the internal aac encoder does not
> support AAC+.
>
> Carl Eugen

Tim Cannell
eWorker Ltd - C++/C# Software Development
Tel : +44 (0)20 84630504

tim at eworker.co.uk
www.eworker.co.uk