[Libav-user] Skipping data consumed by avformat_find_stream_info

Julian Scheel julian at jusst.de
Sun Apr 21 17:16:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

is it possible to skip the data that was consumed by avformat_find_stream_info instead of keeping it buffered? We are playing livestream with omxplayer on raspberry pi, where the stream parameters are autodetected by avformat_find_stream_info before the hardware decoders are opened. As this takes a few seconds (decoding a few h264 frames in software is not actually fast on a 700MHz ARM) it does not make much sense to try decoding the full data that was incoming while analyzing the stream. Instead it would be better to just continue with the live data where it is after find_stream_info completes. This will avoid interrupted data on start of playback, as most times some packets are dropped due to high system load in the analyze step), and reduce the rendering delay. For live-tv 10-15 seconds delay are not really good to have.

Any hints on how this could be realized? I did not see an obvious way so far.

Thanks,
Julian