[Libav-user] AAC with FLV

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Wed Apr 24 19:58:20 CEST 2013

On Apr 24, 2013, at 10:38 AM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stop this nonsense trollfest. There is no bug in ffmpeg.

This is simple problem solving, no trolling. As another poster advised, rechecking assumptions. All along I have treated FFmpeg as a black-box, and my assumption all along has been that there were no bugs anywhere but in my code. I've done what I can to this point -- even posted a fully working app with source code up to Github for help. So please don't take offense at the logical process of deduction. And given that there's now another thread with others reporting the same problem, I don't think it is either out of line or an infringement on anyone's turf to simply raise the question of whether it is possible or not.

> Planare sample format store each channel samples in separate buffer.
> You can not access them with single pointer.

Well....I get what you are saying, but you might not be understanding what those not in the know may be asking -- frame filling and by extension the encoder *does* access these via a single pointer.

avcodec_fill_audio_frame(_streamAudioFrame,
                                                    _streamAudioFrame->channels,
                                                    _streamAudioFrame->format,
                                                    (const uint8_t *)destinationData[0],
                                                    bufferSize,
                                                    0);

...i.e. the fourth parameter, the data parameter. We may just be somewhat parsing semantics, so we may actually be saying the same thing. But if not, that's the difference in things working / not. And again, you've now got others in another thread reporting similar problems, one abandoning the AAC encoder entirely.

Keep in mind, this entire inquiry derives from a desire to use FFmpeg...even posting code to help others use it. So please don't take honest questions as an issue of turf. They are no more personal as are nuts and bolts...it's all just machinery.

Thanks,

Brad