[Libav-user] Frame decoding and sw_scale timings for HD video

Pradeep Karosiya praks411 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 14:56:27 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm working on application which uses both ffmpeg and ffms (wrapper on
ffmpeg) for decoding video file.
The decoding audio and video is then played on user interface.
For low resolution video till 640x360p both audio and video works fine and
frame rate is maintained as per source file.
However when video frame size increases 1280x720p, I'm not able to achieve
desire frame rate and since audio is synchronized to video, audio quality is
decreasing which lots of breaks.
After analyzing the timings of critical function in my filter chain I found
that, though av_read_frame and avcodec_decode_video2 takes almost same time
for both 640x360 and 1280x720, there is considerable difference for
sws_scale() function.
Please someone suggest is there a way to reduce computation time of
sws_scale.
Audio decoding is taking constant time for both 640x360p and 1280x720p
video. Though I'm working to further reduce its timing.

Also if someone has some other ideas on how to reduce overall time, to
achieve desire frame rate without compromising on audio quality please let
me know.

Thanks and Regards,
Pradeep