[Libav-user] Multithreaded decoding of multi-program transport streams

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 08:36:05 CET 2013

> I use multiple encoders, in my case, simultaneously in different
> threads, and it works fine.  I think decoders should work fine too.
> One thing I do is register a custom locking function via
> av_lockmgr_register() just in case some bit of internal library code
> wants to serialize threads through a critical section.
Can someone please clarify for me when using "av_lockmgr_register" is
required as I am not 100% sure I understand: on what types of builds
(win32threads? pthreads? all?) and under what circumstances? (encoders,
decoders, both? type of streams?)
Maybe it's always required and we've just not really hit the problem yet
because we don't use multi-clients often.. (each client gets its own
encoding thread). And multiple contexts from the same thread works just
fine.

Thanks
Antoine