[Libav-user] LGPL and Android's apk file format

Kevin Kratzer kevin.kratzer at uei.co.jp
Mon Dec 9 05:37:09 CET 2013

Hello,

I have a library which uses dynamic linking to integrate libav into a
library which is not licensed under the LGPL.

Is it allowed to distribute an application which integrates the libav
library and my library together in an archive file where it is possible
to replace the libav libraries with a modified version?

In particular, the libraries are contained within an Android .apk file
which is an Android executable. However, the executable object code and
the libraries are separated within the .apk file and the libraries can
be replaced with a simple archive tool like 7zip.
Within the .apk file there is a folder lib which contains the
dynamically linked FFmpeg libraries e.g. libavcodec.so.

I'm not sure if section 6 b) of the LGPL can be applied in this case
becasue of (1).

    Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the
    Library.  A suitable mechanism is one that (1) uses at run time a
    copy of the library already present on the user's computer system,
    rather than copying library functions into the executable, and (2)
    will operate properly with a modified version of the library, if
    the user installs one, as long as the modified version is
    interface-compatible with the version that the work was made with.

I'm aware of the LGPL-Java note http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html
However, this case is not covered there so I'm still unsure.

Thank you

Kevin