[Libav-user] packet flag AV_PKT_FLAG_KEY

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Wed Dec 4 13:53:30 CET 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hendrik Leppkes" <h.leppkes at gmail.com>
To: "This list is about using libavcodec, libavformat, libavutil,libavdevice and libavfilter." <libav-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Libav-user] packet flag AV_PKT_FLAG_KEY

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Don Moir <donmoir at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos at ag.or.at>

Might be useful to add entries at times like for scrubbing. App could add the entries with care.

> The key flag comes either from the file as well, or its filled by the
> codec parser. In the first case, its up to the file if it matches to
> an index entry, in the second, there is no guarantee whatsoever.
>
> If i take MKV as an example, index entries correspond to the Cue
> elements in the file. While the position pointed to by a Cue should
> start with a keyframe, there is no rule whatsoever that every keyframe
> also needs to have a Cue element.

Yeah just trying to understand that connection if any.

> In short, as with many things in avformat, it just gives you the data
> as it was stored in the file. If that doesn't match your expectations,
> blame the file.

I suppose my only initial expectation long ago was that AVDISCARD_NONKEY worked as expected. I see its gotten better in some areas
but not in others. Haven't tested it too much lately though. Even if AVDISCARD_NONKEY was dependable, I like the better control you
get with AV_PKT_FLAG_KEY as long that works as it should.

Thanks for the info.