[Libav-user] change pixel format without scaling data ? // more3

Roman Ryltsov ryltsov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:06:24 CET 2013

Jim,

> I find I have to right shift 8 bits of the RGB to get proper looking images
> back out at YUV'.  Hence sws_scale is actually doing some scaling.

Scaling is typically the term to describe transformation in resolution
domain. Your "scaling" seem to be of a different kind though. If you
have to scale data to make it form proper images, I would say your
sws_ calls have wrong arguments. Improper calls gets you bad data,
which you managed to recover by bit shifting instead of fixing the API
inputs.

Roman