[Libav-user] qmin qmax qscale settings when encoding always from raw yuv frames

Harald Jordan harald.jordan at redstream.at
Thu Jan 17 11:52:26 CET 2013

Hi!

As far as I was able to learn by now, the qmin and qmax settings relate very
much to the quality of the input. Well, here is the first problem for me.
The input for an encoder is anyway always a decoded frame, so it always has
the "perfect" quality. So assumed we always want to have the best available
quality, basically the assumption that the qscale settings depend on your
input is not correct, right?

Now, when I write an encoder using libavcodec that is always fed from
yuv422p pictures, what sense do those settings make?

Thanks for any Input J

Harry