[Libav-user] How to specify output format

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:49:35 CET 2013

In data Saturday 2013-01-19 01:55:22 -0500, Jim Morgenstern ha scritto:
> I have C++ app [win 7]  that is reading and writing video/audio stream.
>

> When I specify the output file as xxxx.MOV I am getting H264 compressed
> video at 24 fps.
>

> I want to have output as uncompressed at 30 or 60 fps according to the
> input.
>

> Some simple [I hope] questions:
>
> .       What is [where can I find] the mapping between file name extension
> and format used?

In the source code, or you can show the ".extensions" field for all
the registered AVInput/OutputFormats.

> .       Can I specify the output format I want rather than using
> av_guess_format ?  all the tutorials use guess

Yes, you need to specify avformat_alloc_output_context2() and rely on
oformat/format_name parameters, or use av_guess_format().

> .       What is your recommended format for uncompressed HD video ?

libx264 is the state of the art encoder (but it has licensing
constraints).