[Libav-user] Encoding and Decoding on separate ends

hatred adrozdoff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 00:08:30 CET 2013

Hi Vistas,

> I want to be able to open a video file on one end, encode it to h264 and
then send it over RTP(custom library) to another end for decoding.> I am
not sure how exactly I am going to open the AVFormatContext and
> AVCodecContext on the receiving end. I am able to serialize AVPackets
correctly.
> I am new to libav* and I can' t see how I need to initialize the AVFormat
state on the decoding side.

I use same work-flow in my live transcoder:
https://www.gitorious.org/live-transcoder

It read and decode packets in one thread, pass decoded data to multiple
encode threads (to encode in multiple formats) and at the end, pass encoded
packets to one or multiple muxing threads, that uses custom writer to send
muxed data via HTTP.

Transcoder uses my AVCPP lib, that C++ wrapper for libavformat, libavcodec
and libavfilter (also: libavutil, libswscale)