[Libav-user] Error while linking ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jul 2 14:00:42 CEST 2013

... ... <bersac_1 at ...> writes:

> > you must make sure the libav* match the header when compiling
> > your code. you may add "-v" option to see details
>
> I tryied the "ffmpeg -v" command and I get the following answer

(Unrelated: Note that -v is the option to set the verboseness
of all FFmpeg binaries, it requires an argument.)

>  configuration: --enable-shared

> What am I suppose to do with that ?

This tells you that you installed the libraries into
/usr/local/lib (this is the default location and you
did not specify another location) while you already
have (another version of) libavcodec installed in
/usr/lib - this generally cannot work.

Please understand that I do *not* generally recommend to
install your self-compiled shared libraries into /usr/lib
- I just want to explain the problem (why linking fails
for you independently of the mentioned FFmpeg bug).

Carl Eugen