[Libav-user] YADIF converted to LGPL

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Wed Jul 3 22:31:09 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Christophe Kummer <c.kummer at noa-audio.com>wrote:

> ** **
>   Dear Mr. Krüger,
>
> After a discussion with my colleague Tobias Rapp, I am getting back to you
> regarding the "ongoing efforts of re-issueing Yadif under LGPL" - Michael
> Niedermayer has recommended to turn to you, as you might have the best
> overview on the efforts there.
>
> We would like to use the YADIF deinterlacing filters - but as long as they
> are under GPL we do have a legal problem with it.
> Right now we have made use of the old "deprecated" LGPL deinterlacer, but
> there might soon be a need for Yadif.
>

> Is there a chance how we can get to an agreement with FFMPEG - in case
> that the efforts might take even longer ?
>
> kind Regards
>
>   <http://www.noa-audio.com/>
>   Jean-Christophe Kummer
>

> Managing Partner
> NOA Audio Solutions VertriebsgesmbH
> Johannagasse 42/4
> A - 1050 Wien
> tel.: +43 -1-5452700
> fax: +43-1-545270014
> mob: +43-699-14003861
> c.kummer at noa-audio.com
> www.noa-audio.com
>
>  NOA is member of the www.leitbetriebe.at group, the top 100 companies of
> Austria,
> which are nominated due to their excellency in work and success.

just a quick reply now, a longer one later.

No, there is no easy quick way to get an agreement with "ffmpeg" as legally
there is no entity that can represent all copyright holders. You would have
to negotiate with all individual contributors, sorry!

The best advice I can give you is to offer some money for the pot for the
relicensing (that might make it more likely that it happens) and wait for
my next posting regarding that topic on the ffmpeg-devel list. I haven't
had time in the past few days to compile what the current status is and
write about options that exist as I wanted to do that thoroughly.

Best regards,

Robert