[Libav-user] Decoding single NALUs from x264 programmatically (no luck even with parser), works fine with concatenated NALUs

Faraz Khan faraz at screenhero.com
Sat Jul 6 18:35:52 CEST 2013

Atilla,
We tried this and came to the conclusion that ffmpeg is probably not
designed to handle a single NALU at a time. You can get the parser to work
in a sort of unreliable fashion if you turn on Annex-b headers in your
encoder (we were using x264). However the parser may still be unable to
read frames. The only reliable way is to not use the parser and feed the
entire frame (directly) to ffmpeg decode. For this to work you would need
some rtp magic / a jitterbuffer to accumulate these NALUs back into the
entire frame. This works just fine with annex-b headers/repeat headers
using x264.

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Attila Sukosd <attila.sukosd at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> There was this thread about decoding NALUs one-by-one with parser2/decode2
> and I'm having exactly the same issue.
>
> I have x264 creating a bunch of NALUs, in annex_b and repeate_headers, and
> trying to decode them one by one on the client side. When I concatenate all
> the NALUs per frame into one large packet, and feed that directly into
> avcodec_decode_video2, everything is fine, the decode is successful.
> However, when I try to feed single NALs directly to avcodec_decode_video2,
> it spits out a bunch of errors. After searching for a while on the net, I
> read some place that certain types of NALs affect the rest of the data
> stream, and they need to be group together.
> I've tried to run the NALs through av_parser_parse2 and tried to decode
> the output buffer when the output size was larger than zero, however, after
> looking at the output buffer contents, it seems like while the output size
> seems reasonable (around the size of the NALs or a combination of a number
> of previous NALs), the output buffer content contains 3-4 bytes, and the
> rest is zero.
>
> The decoding looks like this:
>
>  ret = av_parser_parse2(decoder->pParserCtx, decoder->pCodecCtx,
> decoder->tmp_data, &outsize, buff, size, 0, 0, AV_NOPTS_VALUE);
>  printf("%p buff, %p outdata, consumed %d, %d bufsize, %d outsize\n",
> buff, decoder->tmp_data,ret, size, outsize);
>  disp_buff(decoder->tmp_data, 50);
>
>  if (outsize <= 0) return 0;
>
>  decoder->avpkt.flags = AV_PKT_FLAG_KEY;
>  decoder->avpkt.data = decoder->tmp_data;
>  decoder->avpkt.size = outsize;
>
>   got_picture = 0;
>   if ((ret = avcodec_decode_video2(decoder->pCodecCtx, decoder->pFrame,
> &got_picture, &decoder->avpkt)) < 0) {
>                 LOGE(__FUNCTION__, "H264 decoding failed!\n");
>                 return -1;
>   }
>

> Could someone shed some light on if I'm really off the right track? or am
> I just missing something very trivial?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Attila

Faraz Khan