[Libav-user] ffmpeg resize

rad bogdan bogdan_rad2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 15:27:45 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

I intend to use libav* for an embedded project in order to generate
thumbnails for common image formats ( jpg, bmp, png, gif, tiff ).
I know that ffmpeg is designated for processing mostly video/audio

files but I chose it because in my case the libraries are approximately of
1.4MB ( the build was configured only with the necessary components )
and because of the possibility to use custom read/write/seek functions.

The problem I'm facing now is about the processing speed.
I have a dataset of 20 jpeg files aprox 300KB each and the time it
takes for a bash script to call for 20 times "ffmpeg -i .. -s.. .. " is
of 26 seconds ( 700MHz CPU ) while with enlightenment library it takes
6 seconds. Most of the time is spent in output_packet() function in ffmpeg.

Is there any chance that by implementing my custom resize application
using libav* I'll improve the processing speed to be close to 6
seconds ? I'm not used yet with the API and your response could save
several days of needless work.

Thank you,
Bogdan