[Libav-user] How to implement "-re" option with avformat?

Gyula Hatalyák hatalyak.gyula at artklikk.hu
Fri Jul 19 18:20:34 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am streaming out packets with RTMP output format to Wowza media server.
I have a packet buffer as the input of the RTMP muxer.
I can send the packets faster than their duration - by
av_interleaved_write_frame calls.
I send all the packets in the buffer until it is empty, and then wait for
new packets to come.
The problem is:
During playback from Wowza the frames are displayed in the same timing as
they were sent with av_interleaved_write_frame calls resulting fast
playback and pause/still until the next bunch of packets.

With command line ffmpeg I can use "-re" option to make the flow real-time.
Is there a lib counterpart of this option?
Or must I implement manually this "real-time" option?
Why aren't PTS/DTS used by muxer/wowza/player?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Gyula