[Libav-user] Reducing the Frame-Rate of a Network Video Stream

Adi Shavit adishavit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 09:20:20 CEST 2013

> Then you don't need avfilter, IMHO. When you receive a decoded frame
> from avcodec, simply check if the last frame was received more than 40
> ms ago.

Actually, I'm not sure how to do this for the following reason:

I prefer to decode and process frames even before they would have been
displayed in normal "playing-time".
Thus, ideally I'd get ALL frames (encoded) before they should actually
be displayed, and maybe wait for another chunk later.
In this case checking the time delay between frames will actually drop
more frames than I need (since I got a whole bunch ahead of time), or
force me to decode in real play-time, both things I'd like to avoid.

Adi