[Libav-user] IP cam accessing directly and from dshow speed differences.

Matthew Einhorn moiein2000 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 22:56:10 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have a WANSCAM IP camare (AJ-C2WA-C198) which I'm testing in
ffplay/ffmpeg. I noticed that playing it through its http address is much
slower than when playing it with direct show. I'm linking to logs for both
as run in ffplay.

ffplay displayed the video through direct http access very slow and choppy
using this command :ffplay -report -loglevel debug -i
http://user:pwd@IP:99/videostream.asf
-an (see http://paste.ubuntu.com/5765942/).

To use direct show, I installed a driver from
http://alax.info/blog/1223which converts a IP cam to direct show and
the ffplay speed was faster
although still choppy, even with a large realy time buffer. The command
line was "ffplay -loglevel debug -report -f dshow -i "video=wanscam" -an
-rtbufsize 1000000" (see http://paste.ubuntu.com/5765952/)

Finally, viewing the camera directly from Firefox was much faster than
either method and it wasn't choppy at all. I am looking for recommendations
as to what I can do in ffmpeg to speed it up so that it's as fast as
Firefox. In the end I'd be using the API not ffplay.

Thanks,
Matt