[Libav-user] iPhone 5 and rtsp UDP streaming

Mert Gedik gedikmert89 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:43:33 CEST 2013

Hello everyone,

I 'm having a strange behaviour which is When I try to stream from an rtsp
server on UDP transport with ffplay (the latest one 1.2.1), there are only
a few packet drops, and it works well.

But when I try to do same test with iPhone 5 (same ffmpeg configuration),
many packets drops and so the stream can not be watched because of many
corrupted frames.
TCP works well in iPhone 5.

ffplay and iphone 5 are in the same network, so there is a wrong with the
iPhone 5, according to my searches  on the net, I think this problem is
caused by the maximum UDP buffer receive size. I've read that If the buffer
size of operating system is lower than the server sends then packets will
be dropped. Is that right?

Also, I modified the udp.c file to increase the udp buffer size but this
did not change anything on the iphone 5.

Does anyone have any idea about this situation ?

Regards,

- MG