[Libav-user] Faulty handling of file: protocol on Windows

Hendrik Schreiber hs at tagtraum.com
Tue Jun 18 13:35:27 CEST 2013

On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Hendrik Leppkes wrote:

> While it may be bugged, why even use a file: URL and not just a plain
> path to the file, and avoid this whole mess?

Certainly you can work around the whole issue and I did.
So this is nothing urgent.

But.

To me it makes a whole lot of sense to pretty much always use URLs. That saves me the trouble to distinguish between local files and other resources, like e.g. a file hosted on a web server. URLs/URIs are simply a great abstractions, making your code simpler.

But only, if they work.

And in the case of FFmpeg, the file:-scheme, and Windows, the documentation says, feel free to use URLs, but the implementation isn't able to handle them. I think, it would be nice to resolve this discrepancy.

I spent the better part of a day figuring out, why FFmpeg does not understand correct URLs. I would like to spare others this frustrating experience.

-hendrik