[Libav-user] FLV logic question

Mark Stevans mark39518 at cesinst.com
Thu Jun 20 16:16:56 CEST 2013

Thanks for the quick reply, Hendrik.  But you say that the data is
*already* stored somewhere: I just don't see how that is possible.  When
you open a random FLV clip file, the first thing you usually encounter
is the Metadata packet.  How can you know what codec is being used, the
height/width, etc. without parsing that metadata?  I mean, isn't that
why it's put there at the start of the file?

Or does FFMPEG rely on elaborate probing methods to deduce that metadata
in the case where no header is present, and so, for consistency, it just
ignores the header metadata if it *is* present?