[Libav-user] help encoding audio ogg/vorbis

Radu Robotin radu.robotin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 12:47:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm developing an application that requires audio streaming using
ogg/vorbis format (among other things). My application successfully creates
mp2, mp3 ac3 or aac encoded streams, but when I'm trying to use the
libvorbis encoder the result is not playable.  I suspected it has something
to do with the fact that there is no "raw vorbis" stream defines, so I
tried using an ogg container and the vorbis documentation specifies.
I was looking at muxing.c example that comes with ffmpeg (I'm using the
source ffmpeg from git, built on 06.18.2013 on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit).  I can
make that example work with pretty much any format except with vorbis. I
tried both the libvorbis encoder and the native vorbis encoder  that comes
with ffmpeg and the results are the same: the resulting file is not
playable. Interestingly enough, when using the example muxing.c to produce
an ogg file with FLAC audio, it works flawlessly, so the only problem seems
to be with vorbis audio encoder.

When using ffmpeg in command line with something like:
   ffmpeg -i input.wav -codec:a libvorbis output.ogg

works without any issues, so my guess is there is nothing wrong with the
vorbis encoder.
I also noticed there are several people having  similar issues, I tried
contacting them, some have abandoned the idea, some are still waiting for
answers. However I didn't find mine.
To summarize, here is my question:

Have somebody had any success encoding audio using the vorbis encoder with
libav (that is programmatically, not command line ffmpeg). What is the
difference in using libvorbis as opposed to mp3 or aac encoder? Are there
additional setting to be made so that one can use libvorbis encoder and
produce a playable ogg file?

Thank you, any help would be appreciated!
Radu Robotin