[Libav-user] Record, seek and play

Steve Hart steve.hart at rtsw.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 17:35:10 CET 2013

On 1 March 2013 15:58, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Steve Hart <steve.hart at ...> writes:
>
> > Could anyone tell me if it is possible to play back and
> > seek within a file that is recording at the same time.
>
> That depends on the file format you are using.
> (And maybe on the operating system.)
>
> Carl Eugen

Hi
Linux/Win7
Formats would be mainly mpeg2/dv/h264
I've done some testing and it seems that we can play OK and record OK
separately.
But If I try to play back a file that is currently recording I can only
seek to a certain point but no further.
We get stuck in av_read_frame.

i.e. we open a stream to record and start recording to it.
We then open another stream to play the same file back.

In addition - with DV for example, I get

Error: failed to map EditUnit -1 in IndexSID 1 to an offset
Error: Truncating packet of size 576000 to 575469

I guess what I am asking is, is this even possible?

Cheers
Steve