[Libav-user] Record, seek and play

Julian Herrera julian.herrera at tvgenius.net
Fri Mar 1 17:35:28 CET 2013

On 01/03/2013 15:13, Steve Hart wrote:
> Hi
> We are investigating the possibility of using ffmpeg to record and
> playback video
> Could anyone tell me if it is possible to play back and seek within a
> file that is recording
> at the same time.
> So
> If we have a program that starts capturing video from an external
> source, encodes and records to disk
> and at the same time, play the video to screen and (most importantly)
> seek within it.
> (jog/shuttle/ffw etc).
>
> Is this possible?
> Any caveats?

I did something similar a few days ago. I used the Live555 library to
dump an mpegts stream into a local temp file from an RTSP server. Then I
used libav to play that file at the same time on different threads and
everything worked fine. I guess you just have to be sure of not crossing
the boundaries of the temporary file.

Julian Herrera