[Libav-user] Record, seek and play

Steve Hart steve.hart at rtsw.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 17:48:56 CET 2013

On 1 March 2013 17:49, RenE J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if you buffer in memory by using a custom AvIO context or however
> that's called? At least you be able to catch seeks that go where they
> shouldn't ... and it might be less platform specific?

The problem is that the recording could be hours long!
The problem seems to be down to the fact that some formats don't write the
header info
until the file is closed. This is certainly true of mxf'd DV. I debugged
into the mxf muxer
and found that duration was 0 - no surprise really.....

I do have more success is I seek using AV_SEEK_BYTE rather than
AV_SEEK_FRAME
which I am looking at now.

I know some solutions record off 'chunks' of video and store the latest
x mins in memory. Then have an algorithm that loads the relevant chunk
ahead of time.
But a bit laborious and I'd end up with a bunch of small files.

Steve