[Libav-user] Record, seek and play

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 22:20:10 CET 2013

On Mar 02, 2013, at 17:48, Steve Hart wrote:
> The problem is that the recording could be hours long!

Of course I wasn't suggesting to cache more than you can fit in a reasonable amount of memory, but if I had to guess I'd say that far, backward searches are less likely to cause issues? Anyway, maybe it's enough to cache the information on where to find the content (frames, a bit like how QuickTime handles reference tracks), rather than the content itself?

> The problem seems to be down to the fact that some formats don't write the header info
> until the file is closed. This is certainly true of mxf'd DV. I debugged into the mxf muxer
> and found that duration was 0 - no surprise really.....

But you're not obliged to use that format, or support seeking in a format that doesn't support it (when there's the choice to use a format that does)?

R.