[Libav-user] Building with MSVC toolchain resulting in seeking problem?

Bjoern Drabeck bjoern.drabeck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 10:47:56 CET 2013

Hi,

as described in the ffmpeg documentation
http://ffmpeg.org/platform.html#Windows under 4.2, I have set up MinGW/MSys
to compile using the MSVC toolchain and c99-to-c89 tool. I have got that to
build, however compared to builds from the zeranoe site (and also builds I
have asked a friend of mine to make for me using mingw with gcc), I always
end up with seeking problems.

In most files everything seems to work fine, however when I have larger MKV
files (for example I got one 15 GB movie file), the seeking can take
several minutes (depending how far into the file I seek). The same code
works fine however when I used one of the zeranoe builds (ie seeking near
instant in the same file)

The main difference seems to be that I use the msvc toolchain.

I used this configuration (which contains the essentails I need: LGPL, v3,
dxva2 support, shared dlls):
--toolchain=msvc
--enable-hwaccels
--enable-dxva2
--disable-debug
--enable-shared
--disable-static
--enable-version3

Before that I have also tried this:
--toolchain=msvc
--arch=x86_32
--target-os=win32
--enable-memalign-hack
--disable-static
--enable-shared
--enable-runtime-cpudetect
--disable-encoders
--disable-muxers
--enable-hwaccels
--disable-w32threads
--enable-version3
--enable-dxva2
--enable-hwaccel=h264_dxva2
--disable-debug"
(and also some variations between the above two.. never with any luck)

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Or any hint on how I can resolve
that problem?