[Libav-user] Is there no LGPL deinterlacer left

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Tue Mar 12 16:02:13 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM, John Orr <john.orr at scala.com> wrote:

> The other day I noticed a commit that "lavc: Deprecate the deinterlace
> functions in libavcodec":
>
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=54b298fe5650c124c29a8283cfd05024ac409d3a
>

> AFAIK, that's the only LGPL'ed deinterlace code and the deinterlace code in
> lavf is GPL.
>
> Does anybody know if that is correct, or perhaps there is some other LGPL
> deinterlace code in the ffmpeg code base I'm not aware of?
>
> --Johno

AFAIK you are correct. We (and probably a number of others) are facing
the same problem. However, there is an ongoing effort to relicense
Yadif to LGPL so that can serve as a (much better) replacement for
people requiring LGPL. However, if this effort is not successful, you
will not have many options other than maintaining an old copy for a
while while finding a replacement somewhere.

If you want to use Yadif in a commercial product then you might want
to consider offering some money for the relicensing as two other
companies have offered and some more have hinted that they would do
so.

Regards,

Robert