[Libav-user] av_interleaved_write_frame vs av_write_frame

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Sat Mar 23 04:14:38 CET 2013

On Mar 17, 2013, at 8:49 PM, Brad O'Hearne <brado at bighillsoftware.com> wrote:
> My question is this: what requirement is there to use one call over the other, and assuming for a moment that av_interleaved_write_frame is to be used when there is both video and audio (versus just one or the other), how is the fact that there's no guarantee when audio samples or video frames will be delivered (or if they are delivered at all) affect streaming? QTKit might be delivering both audio and video samples continually, or video only, or audio only -- there's no guarantee of absolutely either, and even if both are delivered, there's no guarantee of when samples will arrive.

Perhaps I can rephrase the question so as to make it more clear -- I am interested in two things:

1. When should av_interleaved_write_frame be used vs. av_write frame?

2. What happens if av_interleaved_write_frame is used to combine audio and video, and for some reason the audio drops (no audio is captured), and therefore the calls to av_interleaved_write_frame cease for audio frames, but continue for video frames? Will the writing (and subsequent streaming) continue, or be interrupted? If the latter, how does one deal with audio or video dropping in an interleaved scenario?

Thanks,

Brad