[Libav-user] QTKit -> Libav: has it ever been done?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 10:18:39 CET 2013

On 27 March 2013 09:58, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> not use QTKit? There is definitely a native decoder
> that outputs the format that (you believe) QTKit
> offers, and that code would not be OSX specific in
> the end.

Are you saying there's a decoder that outputs the decoded content in
QTSampleBuffer format, tested to be accepted as input by QTKit?

Even if that's the case (and I'm not doubting your word on it), that
still doesn't guarantee that those buffers are filled with the same
kind of data. I recall that Brad's problem is with audio, and the
symptoms suggest that there is some kind of misinterpretation of the
soundbytes. It could be as simple as a disagreement on endianness, or
signed vs. unsigned. His words ('ear piercing screams') also evoke
what happens when you put a mic too close to the speaker it feeds
into, but I fail to see how one would achieve that kind of ringing by
accident in software :)

Would it also be an idea to dump the captured content to a supported
container file, ideally without any additional processing of course,
use that as the input, and try to analyse things from there?

R.