[Libav-user] Video and audio timing / syncing

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Fri Mar 29 22:25:12 CET 2013

I am sorry I cannot write a detailed answer right now from my phone.
Basically, the pts you set before encoding should be the right one, because
you have little control over the delay introduced by the encoder. But this
depends on the codec and on the container.

I beg to differ from Kalileo in one aspect: the codec may care about pts,
but on the other hand it may not.

Anyways, theoretical background is important and very interesting for a
curious mind, but if different players employ different logic to compensate
imperfect input files and imperfect specs, so it's worth to use some
trial-and-error.

Sincerely,

Alex