[Libav-user] Reference app with ffmpeg n1.2 libs that works on IOS ?

Lars Hammarstrand lars.hammarstrand at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 18:35:28 CET 2013

2013/3/30 Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>

> Lars Hammarstrand <lars.hammarstrand at ...> writes:
>
> > If this really is a regression, please consider
> > using git bisect to find the version introducing
> > it. (This isn't trivial with FFmpeg, but I will
> > support you.)
> >

> > Ok, thanks - although I believe it will be a quite
> > lengthy and cumbersome process
>
> It usually takes me <15 minutes, but arguably I know
> what to do.
> As said, I can help you.
>
> > as xbmc currently is based on ffmpeg version 0.10.2
>
> I may misunderstand: Is the crash only reproducible
> with xbmc and not with FFmpeg?

Xbmc is entirely based on the ffmpeg libraries and won't work without it so
I'm not really sure what you mean by that.  Xbmc starts up just fine and
you can navigate through the different menus without any problems but as
soon as you try to playback any type of video (file or stream) it will
crash.

 If yes, the bisect will probably not help because

> the reason is something like a unsufficiently aligned
> buffer within xbmc.
> If the crash is reproducible with FFmpeg, you don't
> need xbmc to test.

Sounds very good, but how?  With the ffmpeg tools (ffplay, etc) as a stand
alone package directly on ios?

> > What do you say about regression testing the binary
> > way and start somewhere in the middle. What version
> > do you suggest we start with?
>
> The optimal version to start is of course the one
> you know is working fine (if I suggested one "in
> the middle" it would not save you more than one
> compile).
>
> If you know that 0.10.2 is working, you could
> start with 3c5fe5b (that will save you one
> compile).

Ok, what action plan do we start with, I mean should we jump direct into
the regression testing or what do you suggest?

Btw, I got Kxmovie (github.com/kolyvan/kxmovie) to work by configuring
ffmpeg with the "*--disable-ASM*" flag, thus I'm pretty sure it's some kind
of asm optimization that causes the problem. FYI, kxmovie is also based on
ffmpeg n1.2 and crashes in the same place as xbmc (ie at *
ff_pred8x8_128_dc_neon*).

Question. Most implementations of ffmpeg for ios I've found so far utilizes
static ffmpeg libs (like xbcm do). Is there a known problem to use ffmpeg
as dylibs on ios?
--

Regards, Lars.