[Libav-user] hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon graphics card

Dolevo Jay cmst at live.com
Fri May 3 13:58:04 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have a pc on which openembedded is running. The task of
 this pc is to decode incoming live streams and show on the screen
attached to it. This is sometimes 1 stream connected, sometimes 5,
sometimes 10. I wrote the decoder related code by myself. The issue is, there is no
hardware acceleration at the moment and desperately I am looking for how
 to implement it.
The pc has AMD Radeon graphics card and I have
already installed xvba-va-driver. I can run vainfo and get the following
 lines as return:

root at dumdum-3048:~# vainfo
libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.8.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD

Since
 I get the Entypoints, I suppose that the driver side has already ready
for the hardware acceleration. However, I know that this is not enough
and I need to implement some code into my decoder software in order to
tell the decoder to use the hardware acceleration.

So, I end up
with looking into VLC source code to find out how they have done this
implementation. However, I couldn't get enough information. Then I end
up here to ask you experts, hoping to get some help.

Any help, any hint, any guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Regards,