[Libav-user] Encoding with variable frame rate

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Tue May 21 18:56:21 CEST 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Kalileo <kalileo at universalx.net> wrote:

>> 1. Does FFmpeg support variable frame rate, or not?
>
> ffmpeg gives you the tools to handle it. Don't mix statements about ffmpeg command line tool with what you can do with the ffmpeg libraries.

Does FFmpeg support variable frame rate? If yes, let's take the specific example of setting time_base.den to 30 fps. How do I send 15 fps to the encoder and ensure accurate playback timing? No theory -- specifics please. I'm not arguing, I'm not calling you wrong, I'm not making platitudes about or branding ffmpeg. I've got code that for months showed me something different and I'm trying to work that out. If you are saying that I should be able to send 15fps at an encoder with time_base.den set to 30, and correct it by setting pts to 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. i.e. every other frame, then I'll construct that case and test it. Is that what you are saying, or something different?

> You might want to study the basic old example of a player written using the ffmpeg libraries by Dranger. Seriously.

Spent hours with it over months past. That resource, and a few other, helped.

Brad