[Libav-user] Encoding with variable frame rate

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Wed May 22 17:28:39 CEST 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 1:38 AM, Robert Krüger <krueger at lesspain.de> wrote:

> ??? I thought this thread is about the capabilities of the mov muxer?

My discussion of pts/dts and time_base.den surrounded the common AVCodecContext, which should be relevant to ffmpeg muxing in general.

> The capabilities of container formats
> _and_ muxers vary a lot. So this can only really be discussed in a
> useful way when were talking about the same thing.

Yes, but these are facilitated through a common code layer. Quite frankly, it is hard to tell where common behavior and muxer-specific behavior starts / ends. I threw it out in hopes of shedding light on something that might be affecting your situation, as it sounded like it had some similarities to things which I had encountered. FFmpeg development in general has been an exercise of frequently wandering around in the dark, and I personally appreciate those who take the time to offer ideas and things they've run into, even if not identical to my use case, as they may shed light on possibilities in my situation, and the knowledge can be applied and yield some progress.

My apologies, though I wouldn't have known anyway -- I was not aware that pts/dts and time_base.den were handled differently across muxers. I guess I missed that part in the ffmpeg user guide. I guess it also means Dranger's discussion of them would be not generally applicable either, as I don't recall his information being muxer-specific. Good to know.

Nevertheless, I hope you get your problem solved. I'll keep my powder dry on throwing out possibly relevant info anymore in this thread.

Good luck,

Brad