[Libav-user] Encoding with variable frame rate

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Wed May 22 18:02:20 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Brad O'Hearne
> <brado at bighillsoftware.com> wrote:
>>> The capabilities of container formats
>>> _and_ muxers vary a lot. So this can only really be discussed in a
>>> useful way when were talking about the same thing.
>>
>> Yes, but these are facilitated through a common code layer. Quite frankly, it is hard to tell where common behavior and muxer-specific behavior starts / ends.
>

> This is true at many levels, I faced similar woes in the past with
> codecs, and options that codecs ignored or interpreted in varied ways.

yes, I agree but I don't think lack of awareness is the problem here,
so the only thing that is going to change that is either contributing
documentation (which, I know, is kind of hard in many cases when one
is not the author of a specific undocumented piece of code and relies
on the cooperation of the few people knowing what the state of affairs
is) or try to motivate people by asking them for a specific piece of
documentation (e.g. by opening a trac ticket) or paying them to do it,
at least that's all I can think of. After all, most of the work is
done by people in their spare time and I haven't found many developers
who enjoy writing documentation (no matter how important docs are, I
think we all agree on that).