[Libav-user] 920306 - avcodec_find_encoder(CODEC_ID_H264) returns NULL

Kalileo kalileo at universalx.net
Mon May 27 18:05:06 CEST 2013

On May 27, 2013, at 22:05 , hamidi wrote:

> what do u mean by 'from source'. i'm a newbie in ubuntu and ffmpeg. do u need to install it by using apt-get install?
> about x264, i thought it to be a command line utility.
> after installing x264 by apt-get install, i've to add -lx264 to g++ commands to make my project.

To compile ffmpeg with x264, you don't need the x264 binary, but the libx264 headers and library.

If you use apt-get, then you probably have to install also a package called x264-dev or x264-devel or libx264-dev or similar.

I'm sure there are howtos in the ubuntu community.

I would compile x264 from current sources though, simply to get the latest and greatest version.