[Libav-user] FFmpeg with stagefright - final license?

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Sat Nov 2 13:51:21 CET 2013

On Nov 1, 2013 8:23 PM, "sirvo" <sylviojalves at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As far as I understood, building FFmpeg not enabling --enable-gpl or
> nonfree, FFmpeg will still be LGPL, correct? (and also not using some non
> LGPL libraries)
>
> What happens if a use the option --enable-libstagefrigh-h264?
> Looking close, FFmpeg's libstagefright option uses some AOSP headers,
which
> are under APACHE license, and also some AOSP .so dependencies like
> libstagefright.so, libmedia.so (...) to match the linking.
>
> Does it still keep being LGPL? How to analyze that?
> Is it possible to build FFmpeg with stagefright without linking to that
.so
> libraries?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Common understanding is that it's OK to use Apache-licensed components in
LGPL, see e.g. https://community.jboss.org/thread/149779?_sscc=t

Note that ffmpeg does not include libstagefright.so, libmedia.so, and their
ilk. The AOSP libraries are only used to instruct the linker to set some
references, and even these are not technically necessary (VLC chose a
different approach, I don't think it's any "cleaner").

BR
Alex Cohn