[Libav-user] decoding mp3

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Nov 25 23:39:36 CET 2013

Michael Winter <mwinter at ...> writes:

> What is used for decoding mp3?

The mp3 (or mpegaudio) decoder.
(Sorry.)

> Does it comply with the --enable-nonfree compilation?

This question makes no sense to me, I suspect "nonfree"
means something something completely different for you
than for the FFmpeg developers.

The --enable-nonfree option of configure allows you
to compile external libraries that are only available
under a software license that is not compatible with
the GPL. It is mostly needed for aac encoders like
libfaac. It has no meaning for any internal parts
of FFmpeg, FFmpeg does not contain any code that is
not licensed under GPL or LGPL.
(The mp3 decoder is an internal part of FFmpeg.)

Carl Eugen