[Libav-user] decoding mp3

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Nov 26 00:46:08 CET 2013

Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at ...> writes:

> Just let me note that "--enable-nonfree" is an
> incredibly poor and confusing name choice

Really? I am not so sure...
(Particularly considering some other "name choices"
related to FFmpeg...)

> what is "free"?,

> why should a non-GPL license be considered "non-free"?

Neither the license is (necessariyl) non-free,
nor is the software released under this license
(necessarily) non-free, but the resulting FFmpeg
binary is non-free, to enable this "feature", the
user has to use the "--enable-nonfree" option.

Carl Eugen