[Libav-user] Direct rendering or avoiding copying locally a decoded AVFrame before rendering

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 7 17:55:54 CEST 2013

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:22:19 +0000
Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/7/13, Julian Herrera (TVGenius) <julian.herrera at tvgenius.net> wrote:
> > I do not use reference counting indeed. I could not find an example on the
> > Internet on how to use it.
>
> https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/video/decode/vd_lavc.c

I think he wants to software-decode into a user-provided AVFrame, which
this code does _not_ do. (It does only for hardware decoding - and for
old libavcodec versions which didn't have native reference counting
yet. I guess the hw decoding case could actually be applied to
software decoding too, but it still doesn't make an ideal example.)

Anyway, he want to override get_frame2. I'm not sure if that strictly
_requires_ reference counting, but maybe it's a good idea to use and
enable it.