[Libav-user] Problems with ffvhuff and huvvyuv

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 15:52:18 CEST 2013

>I have an libAV program that decodes every 24-th frame.  This is for
>a video editor so I can easily seek forward in the video, rather than
>play all frames.

>If the input file is uncompressed AVI, then this works well.
>However, if I compress the video with ffvhuff or huffvuy, then whenever I
>seek forward 24 frames, the previous 12 frames are first decoded.  For example,
>If I seek from frame 0 to 24 to 72 to 96, when I try to decode frame 96,
>I first get frame 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, .... frame 83, then it decodes frame
>96.

>This problem only occurs with ffvhuff, or huffyuv.  Lossless jpeg doesn't have the
>problem or any of the other lossless codecs I tried.

Does my question make sense to anyone?  Or am I doing something very wrong
with libav and seeking?  Has anyone seen this behavior before when you seek to
position N in a file, but the first few frames that get decoded are lower than N?
Is there a better way?

Does this have anything to do with cached frames, or is that another issue?